Friday, March 24, 2006

Salaam Alechem


Tonight Tammy and I along with Paul and Judy (our close friends) went to visit a friend from Jordan, Souraj Salah, and his wife Majd. It was such an interesting evening together. They served us a delicious meal of traditional Middle Eastern fair. The regional culture there is called Shamie (phonetical spelling). We had a wonderful cultural and spiritual interchange during our four hours with the family. Souraj and Majd have a beautiful baby boy named Al Berra which means "the innocent."

Souraj shared many aspects of himself during our time there. He is an engineer by trade, a musician who writes his own lyrics and music, and a deeply spiritual Muslim man. His devotion to Allah is vast. His depth of faith and love for Allah is his life. His knowledge of the Koran is solid. I deeply respect the intensity of his faith and journey with Allah. I learned to listen and experience through his eyes, his god. Through his devotion I was challenged to reflect upon my own devotion to Christ. I want to careen through this roller coaster life with the goggles of faith and no longer hold back for the sake of selfish gain. I want to respect and love Jesus beyond everything. Every molecule of my body must focus upon the Living God: Father, Jesus Christ, and Holy Spirit. The only other alternative is a hypocritical faith based upon my comfort and convenience. Christ calls us to be HOT for him or nothing at all...let me burn white hot for the Savior!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home