Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Simple Life.

Last night during my Monday evening study time, I was once again challenged to look at life and just how busy I am, and our family is. The simple life is something that Michael and I have been striving for since we were married in 2000. In many ways we are succeeding, yet every 6 months or so we are challenged in yet another way we could simplify our life. They are challenges that stir the heart, as well as the mind. Each time we follow in obedience to the Lord, and give up what it is he is asking of us, we see his grace, mercy, love and provision in all new ways.

In our family we are looking at finances, and how to live a simple life with them. We have switched to the "envelope system" to handle weekly expenses. We are paying off and cutting up credit cards to simplify life by decreasing our debt, and striving to spend only what we have. No trying to keep up with the Jones' for us... but we do have our struggles. It's hard to break the lifestyle we were used to living under our parents roofs, or even living on our own. We are learning the blessing of giving generously out of what we have, and living simply to do so. It's wonderfully freeing to be able to walk by a sale and say, "yes, I'd like it, but I don't need it, and just looking is fun enough." Because we have found the freedom in decreasing our debt instead of having it hanging like a noose around our necks, and trying to ignore that it is there.

Another area I'm trying to strive for is simplicity in diet. Having three babies in five years has done a lot to increase my waistline, however, it is not the only thing that has added to my form. So in many respects, I'm re-learning how to eat. I'm learning from my three wee ones, the simplicity of food, and it really is quite simple. When their bellies growl, they want food, and then they only eat until there belly is content - but NOT stuffed to an uncomfortable level. When is the last time you waited to eat until your belly actually growled, and then found the freedom to leave food on your plate, or ask for a to-go box in order to stop eating when you are satisfied? It's much more difficult for me to follow these simple principles, but I'm learning.

The freedom found in simplicity is surprising, but truly wonderful.
~TLH

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home